Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Autumn's Apples






This weekend I spent Saturday with my amazing husband, my helpful brother-in-law, and my sweet grandmother. We woke up early to get a head start on the day. Josh had a little bit of work to do and then we were off to visit my grandma. Thankfully the boys were able to fix her car by putting a new battery in...grandma felt instant relief. We took her out for a pizza lunch date and then off to the orchard we went! It was perfect outside! Not too cold, not to hot, a little sunshine mixed with a few clouds. We grabbed a bushel basket and we went walking in search for the perfect apples. We ate apple after apple, taste testing each kind. We filled the basket with some for everyone. Baking apples, eating apples, big apples, small apples, red, green, and yellow apples. We over filled the basket and the boys had to use team work to carry the basket back to the barn.  Grandma and I couldn't help but look at all the fallen apples... sad we couldn't bring every apple home with us. We all had a wonderful time and I cant wait to try some new recipes with my freshly picked apples. After apple picking we stopped at my friends' grandparents anniversary party. What a wonderful couple married 50 years! I love all couples older than us, we have so much we can learn from them. A wonderful inspiration. After visiting there for a while we went to my favorite place in the whole world! HOME! And no its not my home anymore but it still feels like my home.  We had time to visit with Mom and Dad for a while and then Dad took us to a place not too far from the house to buy pumpkins, squash, and gourds. I wish I would have brought my camera out at this place! The colors were beautiful! Vegetables of every color. We filled the car with all kinds of goodies! When we returned home I was reminded of a wood sign that hangs in my moms kitchen..."A day in the country is worth a million days in the city."

No comments:

Post a Comment