Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Decorating for Valentines Day

VALENTINES DAY

I heard on Channel 11 news that the two middle weeks in January were the most depressing weeks of the year for most people. The holiday cheer has wore off, there is no end of winter in sight, and the days are short. Since decorating always cheers me up I decided to go for it and put up a few decorations for Valentines Day.  I went down to my storage room and looked through my holiday bins all nicely labeled... Christmas, Halloween, Thanksgiving, Forth of July, Easter, and there it was: Valentines Day/St. Patricks Day, getting excited I opened the bin hoping to find some clearance decorations I may have bought the year before. I was wrong. Inside was nothing more then three wooden hearts and some window clings. I decided I would make my own decorations this year, and use things I may already have, as we are saving money for my brothers wedding in TX in one month. I figured I would share some of my ideas for others who may be on a tight budget. The first thing I did was wander around the house and gather all red, pink, purple items, I was surprised how many things I found! I looked for dishes, ribbon, silk flowers, candles, lamp shades, and books! I gathered it all up on my kitchen table and went to work!

As an avid children's book collector, I have books for each holiday and I love do display them with my decor! This book More Hugs has bright red on the cover and matches perfectly next to my red checked lamp!

Candy is always a cheap decoration, so I dressed it up by using some stickers I had to spell the "Kiss and Hug" tags, I just used pencils for the sticks, and wrapped them with red yarn to match!
I went through my big box of doilies that I had from both my Grandma and Josh's Grandma and found some colorful pieces that I probably would have never used except for Valentines Day, as they have pinks, purples and fun colors! I also found some of my great grandmothers vintage valentine post cards to display!


Of course I put out any colorful frames and flowers that matched my Valentines Day theme.

And of course I took out my Valentines Day Cookie Cutters! They are fun because they can hang on a wall or set on a coffee table to be displayed. I bought a set of alphabet cookie cutters a while ago, and it is definitely worth it! I can use them for any holiday, to spell out fun words or phrases!
I didn't have any colorful candles so I just took a plain white candle and put some scrapbooking stickers on it to dress it up!

I found this old Chocolate tin in a box of items we received from Josh's grandma when she passed! I love it! It is so colorful and it is fun to think that this may have been someones Valentine's Day Gift  to their sweetheart many years ago!

No comments:

Post a Comment