Friday, September 7, 2012

IMPERFECT: An improbable life.




Imperfect is the story of Jim Abbott, the Yankee pitcher who threw a no-hitter in September of 1993.
Jim was born without a right hand, in Flint, Michigan, where he learned to live and prevail with his circumstances.

This book was inspirational!  Jim Abbott and his family did not look at his lack of a hand as a disadvantage in life.  He could still get most everything done by himself and honestly felt that he wasn't any worse off than those around him. After a hospital trip where the family had seen some truly disabled children Jim's dad made the decision that he was not one of those kids. He would be just fine. And after that, at 6 years old, Jim received his first baseball glove.

Of course,  I love the relationship between pitcher and catcher, and that day Matt Nokes, was just the inspiration Abbott needed. I love that at one point when Ramirez was up to bat, Nokes went to the mound and said something as simple as, "Hey, the stuff is good, let's go after the strike zone."

The book bounces back and fourth between the play by play of Abbott's no-hitter and the young life of Jim growing up in Flint, Michigan during the some of the city's roughest days. His childhood was spent outside teaching himself how to play baseball and basketball. He was a natural athlete, as were many of the kids around that area.

I had to smile when Abbott wrote about baseball gloves on his bike handles, it made feel nostalgic. I was that kid, as were my brothers, and pretty much all the kids in middle class American neighborhoods. I can remember coming home as the sunset, riding bike as fast as possible to try to avoid trouble with the parents, or missing supper. Baseball was the first sport I played. It was natural to have a glove in my hand. My dad taught my brothers and I everything to know about baseball, he was our first coach. I remember all lines he'd repeat over and over as he pitched buckets of balls to me, "keep your eye on the ball, "choke up, elbow up!" The boys and I were on the baseball field in our yard all summer long and when we moved we spent our days across the field at the neighbors freshly mowed diamond. There are so many glorious moments that I remember, and a few mishaps too!  I will never forget when my dad dove for a ball and landed in my kitty pool! His arm came out of the socket and he was in serious pain, but we all thought he was a hero.

Overall, I loved this book, it shared the wonderful message of strength and perseverance. I feel like kids don't get enough messages like this anymore! I also feel like this book captured what it was like growing up in a city where sports were everything. Today, Jim Abbott is a motivational speaker and sometimes is a guest instructor at spring training camps. He is also a very loving husband and father, as evident by the way he talks about his wife and children in Imperfect.

I see great things in baseball. It's our game - the American game. It will take our people out-of-doors, fill them with oxygen, give them a larger physical stoicism. Tend to relieve us from being a nervous, dyspeptic set. Repair these losses, and be a blessing to us. ~Walt Whitman


My parents took to us see the Minnesota Twins every 'bat day' when we were young. It was such a thrill to make a sign, pick out our favorite Twins clothes, and pack up our gloves with the dream of catching a home run ball.

This is one of the signs we made when we were little. I love the horrible bubble letters and numbers, and that we wrote: Chuck, Shane, Greg, Chili, on there too :) Thanks for saving this Mom!  Also, Mom and Dad, thank you for teaching us this wonderful game, and taking us to the ballpark as kids! We were soo lucky to have you both!


No comments:

Post a Comment