Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Pie in the Eye

 
I feel like people my age don't know how to make pies without buying frozen pastry crusts!
But it is so much more satisfying to make your baked goods froms scratch! Here is a simple and easy homemade apple pie recipe for you to make for friends and family.
 
Begin your pie by making your homemade pie crust!
Measure 3 cups flour, add 1.5 cups Crisco.
Use a pastry cutter/mixer to combine the two ingredients to a course meal.

It will be course but should have no large chunks.
 Next, add one beaten egg
1 Tablespoon vinegar
5 Tablespoons cold water
and 1 teaspoon of salt.
Lightly stir together and spilt into three sections.

Place the sections in plastic wrap and use your rolling pin to form a small circle.
Place in the freezer for as long as needed or at least 20 minutes.
I like to prepare the rest of my pie ingredients while I wait.
 
I have a pampered chef apple peeler and corer which makes my job so much easier!
 It almost feels like cheating!
 Peel and chop 8 cups of apples. 

Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 sugar
1 teaspoon ground Cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
 
Remove a section of dough from the freezer and roll pastry from center outward.
Be sure to use flour to prevent sticking.
 Form into pie pan.
Add apple mixture to the pastry shell.
Remove second section from freezer and roll out to cover the top of your pie.
There are so many ways to cover your pie, I like trying different and unique ideas.
Bake in oven for 45-50 minutes at 350 degrees.
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment