Thursday, November 3, 2011

Day 3- "Are you facing a trial of some sort? How are you thankful?"

Today, I am facing the same trial that I have been battling all year. Very few days pass that this trial is not on my mind and weighing heavy on my heart. It is a trial of bitterness, broken friendship, resentment, and forgiveness. This has been one of the bigger trials that I have faced in my adult life. It is difficult when a friendship dissolves and it seems as though there is nothing that can be done to restore the friendship. I am still in the process of learning to "Let go and let God."

I have been hurt badly by a friend whom I trusted with all my heart. This friend made the choice to end all communication with me about a year ago. I have made several attempts to reconcile with fairly little success. I have been advised by several friends to let the friendship go, and move on with my life. Up until recently I wasn't able to understand my strong desire to want to mend this relationship with someone who has hurt me. I have asked God to help me by giving me strength and ability to get through this trial. I have found some guidance recently through Gods works in book I read called The Purpose Driven Christmas written by Rick Warren. Thank you, Lord, for bringing that book into my life at the perfect time! While the entire book was inspiring, there was one chapter that spoke directly to my specific trial.

God gives us the desire, the ability and the power to reconcile. Jesus said, "Blessed be the peacemakers for they will be called sons of God." (Matthew 5:9) Anytime you attempt to restore a broken relationship, you're doing what God would do. It is the ministry of reconciliation. This does not mean to role over, and lose your sense of identity. It simply means that you must actively seek to end conflicts, promote reconciliation, and offer forgiveness to those who have hurt you. This is passing on the grace that God has shown us. "Those who are peacemakers will plant seeds of peace and reap a harvest of righteousness." (James 3:18.) Reconciliation does not mean resolution either, it does not mean you have resolved all problems it simply means that hostility has ended. You continue to work on the issues, but now you do it with respect and love instead of sarcasm and anger. Forgiveness does not mean that you return to trust. Forgiveness is instant, and trust takes time to restore. "If you refuse to forgive others, your Father will not forgive your sins." (Matthew 6:15.)

It makes sense! I am attempting to reconcile because that is what God wants for us! He wants us to have peace with others. I need to forgive, to rid myself of anger, and resentment so that I too may be forgiven. Even if I am unable to restore the relationship it is important that I do my part to reconcile, and attempt to work out any issues. Gods grace is amazing, and along with forgiveness he gives me the strength to keep trying to right my wrongs, and make peace with others.

Thank you God, for carrying me through my trials as only you can. I know that my weaknesses only bring me closer to you. I am thankful for all the life lessons that I have learned through my trials, and thankful that I have Him there with me always to hold my hand in joy and difficulty. I am thankful for the grace that you have granted me, and the strength you have given me to forgive others.

No comments:

Post a Comment